Speech 103 #2: The Cultural Artifact Speech
Speech Topic: Chinese Astrology
General Purpose: The Twelve animal signs
Specific Purpose: At the end of my speech, my audience will be more familiar, and get a better idea of what Chinese Astrology was.
I . Introduction
A. How many of you have ever heard or know anything about Chinese astrology? And do you know why Cat and Rat is an enemy?
B. The animal year in which you were bon is said to determine your character.
C. So today in my speech, I would like to talk about a Chinese astrology, and let everyone have a better look about the twelve animal signs.
A. The History of Astrology
1. The exact origins of the twelve animal still unknown. Some scholars say that Chinese Astrology is more than 2000 years old.
2. However, the most common stories of how animals were chosen that once day God realized that there hadn’t been a system to keep track of time, and head of years. So once day he decided to hold a contest to determine the animal that would head the year, and asked 12 animals to come. The god said whoever reached the opposite side of the river would be first. All 12 animals was so excited, they all joined the race to win the first spot.
3. The cat used to be very best friend with Rat until from this day on. Cat talked to rat: how can I cross the water when I am afraid of water? And the Ox said “I can’t cross the water with my poor eyes sight”. Suddenly, the rat said “I had an idea; we can hop on the ox’s back and guide him, so he can carry us across the river without us getting wet.” So they decided to do that.
4. During the middle of competition, almost to the river, the rat sneak up behind the cat and pushed him off the river, and at the same time, he jumped off the ox’s back to get to the line first.
5. So the first animals were Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, and Dog. The god counted and saw a missing once instead of 12. At this moment, the Pig arrived...