Study Guide Chapter 11
When choosing the right medium, one must consider the nature of the product, the target of the audience, and the reach.
frequency: how many times they’re reached by the message.
-how many times a person is exposed to the message.
Objectives in advertising include
1. Brand awareness 2. Favorable attitude
3. Brand loyalty 4. Visit intentions
5. Purchase intentions.
1. Specific 2. Measureable
3. Attainable 4. Relevant
5. Time Bound.
-Print advertising includes magazines , newspapers, but also brochures, directories, mail, posters, and outdoor boards.
-magazines are the second largest medium, receiving 20 percent of US advertising dollars.
-pros and cons of magazine advertising:
1.selectivity 2. permanency 1.lack of immediacy 2. not intrusive
3. high reproduction quality 3. shallow geographic coverage
4. detailed information possible 4. long lead time 5. clutter.
5. cost efficiency 6. declining circulations 7. high CPM
6. authority and believability
-six tips to developing effective ads
1. Less is more. Use short text . the brain can process four words per second.
2.A picture is equal to a thousand words 3. Use short, impactful, meaningful headlines
4. Consumers buy what they remember 5. Make sure your advertising stands out
6. Be distinctive and unique in order to stand out
-while magazine rates are declining, the ones going up are targeted to specific niche markets. Hispanic magazine circulation is on the rise, as well as some other specific categories.
Magazines are categorized by three things:
a. consumer b. farm c. business.
-vertical covers all aspects of an industry, while horizontal covers a narrow part of an industry.
a. local b. regional c. national.
-several size classifications: large, flat, standard, small, pocket .
-large magazines are disappearing...