RINT Task 1
• Until 1872 the oceans
where thought to be
• Challenger expedition
found a deep hole in the
• The Challenger recorded
the depth using weighted
• A depth of 26850 feet
was recorded and named
the challenger deep.
• From 1942- 1946 the HMS Challenger
surveyed the Pacific Ocean using echo
• Echo sounding was considered to be
more accurate and an easier way to
measure the depths.
• This new technology recorded a depth of
January 23,1960 Don Walsh
and Jacques Piccard manned
the Trieste to the bottom of the
of the Mariana Trench.
They travelled to a depth of
At the bottom the discovered a
flat fish about 1 foot long and
To date, this is the only
manned voyage to the bottom
of the Mariana Trench
• In 2009 the Nereus
dove to the bottom of
the Mariana Trench.
The Nereus is an
• It reached a depth of
35,768 feet. (Wikipedia,
• The Mariana trench is a subduction zone. The
Pacific Plate subducts under the Philippine
Plate. (Wikipedia, 2011)
Part 2 The Indian Ocean Tsunami
The Indonesian coast was hit with the largest tsunami on December
26, 2004, catching the world by surprise.
– Occurred the day after Christmas.
• In a resort area with a heavy tourist population as most of the resorts were
full of holiday travelers.
– The 9th worst natural disaster based on the death toll.
– Almost double the death toll of the next largest tsunami with
•In the years leading up to this tsunami, work had been done to develop
the water front of Indonesian coast line. Mangrove forests have been
removed to make room for shrimp farms, resorts and ocean front
•Mangrove forest were cut down.
•Years ago the coast of Indonesia was lined with mangrove forests. These
forests would have absorbed a great deal of the forces of...