Riordan Manufacturing’s New HRIS provides tools to create custom database structures, screens, workflow processes, custom business rules, security maintenance, web-based portal interface, ad-hoc reports and document management. It has multi-lingual capability and is built using a multi-tiered scalable architecture. All of these items form the essential elements required to construct the scalable, Web based, database driven application.
The key objectives when designing this system were as follows:
• Scalability – the ability to support all Riordan users and enable easy scaling out of the application when required.
• Flexibility – enable the application to be customized by the end-user or Riordan IT staff to provide a solution that meets Riordan’s exact requirements.
• Security – to develop an application with robust security.
• Ease of Use – ensure that the application can easily be used, even by novice users with limited training.
• Ease of Deployment – When supporting Riordan users, the application must be easily deployed on client workstations. In addition to this, any updates must be easily and quickly applied.
To address these objectives, the Microsoft .NET framework was chosen as the underlying platform for the application. It is a software development and execution environment designed by Microsoft that consists of a unique set of programming resources. Microsoft .NET offers innovative solutions that allow rapid development of applications that result in immediately evident productivity increases (Microsoft, 2009).
Introduction Riordan’s New HRIS Framework
The new HRIS uses several key technologies within its architecture. The following is a list of the technologies used:
• Windows 2003/2008 Server – This is the recommended operating system for New HRIS system.
• SQL Server 2005/2008
• Internet Information Services 6 (IIS 6) Web Server
• Visual Basic.NET – Microsoft’s next generation of programming language for developing...