According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATDSR), exposure to Malathion through air, water and food can cause difficulty in breathing, vomiting, cramps, diarrhea, blurred vision, watery eyes, headaches, sweating, foaming of the mouth, dizziness, paralysis, loss of consciousness and death. In testing, it appears that extremely high doses of Malathion shuts down organ function. If a person whom has accidentally or intentionally ingested Malathion receives treatment quickly, there is no reason there should be any long-term health problems. While there has been no proof that Malathion causes cancer, studies have found increased incidences of some cancers in individuals regularly exposed to Malathion such as farmers and chemical applicators (Department of Health and Human Services, 2003).
Malathion use around children would most likely produce the same health complications as adults if ingested in high amounts. At this time results are unknown as to whether children are more susceptible to this chemical than adults; however, lab testing has led to the belief that high exposure does produce birth defects in rats and mice (Department of Health and Human Services, 2003).
The Occupation Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has recommended the exposure limit for Malathion is 15 milligrams per cubic meter of space in the workplace for an eight hour workday, however, the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) states the recommended exposure limit is 10 milligrams per cubic meter of space for a ten hour workday. NIOSH also states that a level of 250 milligrams per cubic meter of Malathion in the air is to be considered an immediate danger to health and life. These recommendations are based on the levels ingested by rats and mice in laboratory testing and observance and documentation (Department of Health and Human Services, 2003).
Malathion is hazardous to both adults and children for several days after the spraying...