WEEK OF: Strand: The Nature of Science Chapter: 14 Block Scheduling: 6
Benchmarks—SC.F.2.3.1 (CS, MC): The student knows the patterns and advantages of sexual and asexual reproduction in plants and animals; SC.H.2.3.1 (CS, MC): The student recognizes that patterns exist within and across systems. Also covers: SC.F.1.3.1 (AA, MC, SR), SC.F.1.3.3 (CS, MC), SC.F.2.3.2 (AA, MC, SR)
Days: M,T,W,TH,FR Section 1Introduction to Plant Reproduction
• Objectives: ACTIVITIES: ASSESMENT TECHNIQUE(s) MATERIALS
1. Distinguish between the two types of plant reproduction.
2. Describe the two stages in a plant’s life cycle.
Review Vocabulary:: Fertilization
Review New Vocabulary:: spore, gametophyte stage, sporophyte stage.
____ Launch Lab, p. 403
___ Section Focus Transparency 1, p. 66, TCR; Transparency Activity, p. 42, CRB, (ELL)
____ Foldables, p. 403; Foldables p. 15, CRB
____ Reading Preview, pp. 404, 408, TWE
____ Interactive Chalkboard, Ch. 14, Sec. 1, TCH
MiniLAB: Observing Asexual Reproduction, p. 405; MiniLAB Worksheet, p. 3 Pen/ Pencil
Instructional Strategies: Reciprocal teaching Reac-say something- Two Column notes – Raft- Pattern puzzles – Contrast/Compare KWL
Sequence Mapping Think- pair share- Venn – Diagram - Problem Solution notes- Vocabulary Map – words elaboration – One Sentence Summary
Days: M,T,W,TH,FR. Section 2 Seedless Reproduction
Benchmarks—SC.F.2.3.1 (CS, MC): The student knows the patterns and advantages of sexual and asexual reproduction in plants and animals. Also covers: SC.F.1.3.1 (AA, MC, SR), SC.F.2.3.2 (AA, MC, SR), SC.H.2.3.1 (CS, MC)
• Objectives ACTIVITIES: ASSESMENT TECHNIQUE(s) MATERIALS
3. Examine the life cycles of a moss and a fern.
4. Explain why spores are important to seedless plants.
5. Identify some special structures used by ferns for...