3. Why become computer savvy? Know what computers can do for you Know the limitations of computers Know how computers can harm you Know how to solve computer problems Know when & how to get help Discussion Question: What was your worst computer problem?
4. IT & Your Life: The Future Now Definition: Information Technology (IT) describes any technology that helps to produce, manipulate, store, communicate, and/or disseminate information Part 1: Computer Technology Part 2: Communication Technology Discussion Question: How many times today did YOU use one of these technologies?
5. How is IT being used in Education? 99% of schools have internet access 85% of college students own their own computer ¾ of college students use the internet 4 or more hours per week ½ of all college professors require students to use email in their classes Many college classes are either taught online or have a class website Definition: Distance Learning is online education Discussion Question: Have you ever used the computer in your classroom for something other than the work in that class?
6. Rules for Computers in Classrooms Problem: Computers in the classroom can be used or misused. What should they be used for? Following the lecture slides Working along with the instructor Performing instructor-assigned internet searches Completing assignments for this class What is misuse? Text messaging or emailing friends Surfing the internet for entertainment Doing assignments for other classes ©
7. Health: High Tech for Wellness Telemedicine: Medical care via telecommunications lets doctors treat patients from far away 3D Computer models allow accurate tumor location inside a skull Robots permit precise microsurgery Handheld computers allow patients to measure blood sugar Medical implants allow stroke patients to directly control computers to talk for them Health websites provide medical information
8. Money: Cashless Society? Definition: Virtual means something that is created,...