Carlos N. Pena
High Level Basketball
A) It is not easy to play basketball at a high level, let alone be ranked on the national level.
B) Today I will be talking to you about the game that defines my life
C) First I will explain what it takes to play at a high level, then I will talk about my experiences, finally I will conclude with great players that motivated me
Transition Statement: Let’s talk about what it takes to play basketball at a high level
II. Main Point One: Knowing the System
A) Play the coach’s way
1. We had to be in shape because we were a pressing team, which meant we had many different defensive, along with many different offensive plays.
2. Which takes a lot of discipline in order to accomplish the many strategic plays he had in order.B) “Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect”
1. Practice hard and be disciplined, especially when you’re tired.
C) “Use fear to your advantage, fear will keep you focused and ready for the task at hand”
1. Before game time, be focused on the strategy that we went over during our practices.
Transition Statement: Those key point’s leads up to how well we did during our seasons by following the way our coach wanted us to practice and play.
III. Main Point Two: My experiences
A) Our first year we went to the national championship
1. The championship was held in Illinois
2. At the end of the season, we ranked 7th in the nation.
B) Our second year we ranked 13th in the eastern region.
C) We travelled a lot, from Illinois, to New York we were always on the road.
Transition Statement: Finally, there were many players that influenced my come up to play college basketball.
IV. Main Point Three: The Greats of the Game and how I relate to them
A) Michael Jordan
1. The greatest player of all time
B) Kobe Bryant
2. Arguably the twin of MJ
C) Both these players were scoring guards
1. Which motivated me to be a scoring guard, which I...