Summer time in India is far from being a pleasant time if you are in the plains and are not heading for the hills. In fact, a typical Indian summer day in a city such as Delhi can feel like an oven that has been put on a really high pre-heated temperature mark! Yet, if you follow some simple tips, you can remain as cool as cucumber. Read on to know more.
So, how do you cope with the heat while visiting India this summer? Besides the essentials, like applying tons of sunscreen lotion and wearing loose fitting, preferably cotton clothes, here are a few tips that will keep help you keep your cool in the sweltering Indian summer!
• Besides drinking plenty of water, drink a lot of fluids to avoid dehydration. The ever-popular nimbu pani or lemonade is an excellent drink to feel refreshed. If you are cautious of drinking lemonade, then the natural thirst-quencher is tender coconut water. Tender coconut water contains sugar, fiber, and proteins along with vitamins and minerals.
• Eat a lot of salads and fresh fruits that naturally contain water, like water melon – in fact this fruit contains nearly 92% water and up to 14% of vitamin C. This will add to the moisture content that you will lose through sweating. Small amounts of vitamin B and potassium are also found in this fruit.
• Drink water that is stored in earthenware pots. This method is popular in rural India so that they can beat the heat with cool drinking water.
• Avoid eating oily food and especially avoid eating cut fruit from vendors as it may have been exposed to flies and dust.
• For long lasting make-up, avoid moisturizer, especially if you have oily skin, and dust on some loose powder to seal the oil in.
• Try to get some parking only in shady areas! This will ensure that your car does not heat up while you are out!
• Keep a hand held fan to use so that you can keep cool when you are outdoors.
• A parasol is very helpful to remain cool when you go outdoors. A pair of sunglasses will also help...