JAN '' ARP 2009
Get into groups of two(2) to three(3) students in one group. Answer the question below (must be typed: New Times Roman, font size 12, double spacing) and submit your assignment on March 10th, 2009 in class. You are required to do a 10-minute presentation of your work on March 10th, 2009.
Complete a write-up on your chosen industry (3 to 5 pages). It must include the
following headings and include reference or footnotes on the sources:
1. Name of industry.
2. Short description of industry (describe product or service, stage of production, consumer of producer market, and other descriptive terms, such as volume of trade).
3. Typical market size (geographical size wherein firms compete).
4. Estimated number of firm in the market.
5. Size of firms (such as sales volume, employees, etc.).
6. Listing of dominant firms (if any).
7. Characteristics of product or service (such as substitute goods, price elasticity of demand, normal of inferior goods).
8. Short history of industry (2 to 3 paragraphs).
9. Assessment on the competitiveness (is it an oligopoly, monopolistic competition, pure competition? Be sure to give your reasons for your conclusion, such as market share ratios, evidence of oligopolistic behaviour, including price wars, etc.).
10. Regulatory considerations (information on governmental regulations, if any, on the industry).
11. Other aspects (other aspects you find interesting).
12. List of sources (list articles and source of information used).
Introduction: 3 marks
Body : 8 marks
Conclusion : 3 marks
Presentation: 6 marks
Total marks : 20