POSC 1000 Short Paper/ Issue Reaction Paper
*PLEASE READ THIS ASSIGNMENT CAREFULLY
Due Date: November 7, 2008
Length: 2-3 pages double spaced (500-900 words) text plus 1 page for bibliography ( Papers longer than 3 pages will only have the first three pages marked) This is a short paper so be concise.
Citation Style: APA
Number of sources: minimum 5 sources ( 3 must be academic )
Grading: 25% of course mark
Marked By: Dr. Fernando
Submission: WebCT online submission
Late Penalty: No Late papers accepted
This is an issue reaction paper. You need to choose one side of one of the following 10 topics/questions. Sign up for your desired topic on WebCT. This will ensure there are adequate resources for students on each topic.
1. Is the Prime Minister too powerful?
2. Are Judges in Canada too powerful?
3. Does the Charter of Rights and Freedoms adequately protect our civil rights?
4. Are political parties still important to Canadians?
5. Does the media in Canada do a good job as the “watchdogs of democracy”?
6. Is there political equality in Canada? (this can be done by specifically addressing issues of class, race or gender and saying yes or no depending on one of these perspectives)?
7. Are election campaigns in Canada informative and representative of the public’s concerns?
8. Should the Senate be abolished?
9. Is Canadian Political Culture too Americanized?
10. Are public opinion polls an important part of the policy process?
This essay will help give you a background in a specific topic but it is meant to help you develop an understanding of some important issues in Canadian politics. You are trying to develop informed opinions that also ask you to address opposing views. The use of arguments as well as counterarguments creates a more balanced view of an issue. You should present your strongest argument for and the strongest argument against your argument both...