GAC002 Assessment Event 4: Academic Research Essay
Living things: The Life of a Dolphin
Student Name: Angie Wang
Teacher: Matthew Padgett
Due Date: the end of Unit 6
Word Count: 548
Thesis: In this essay, wild dolphins will be compared and contrasted with SeaWorld dolphins from living condition, health, and activeness.
Topic sentence: Firstly, wild dolphins and SeaWorld dolphins have different living conditions.
• Wild dolphin: have to be alert all the time in order not to be eaten. (What Swims Beneath: Ocean Life, Novi Meadows Elementary, 2002)
• Wild dolphin: Eat much but hard to get food (Gutierrez, D.M. Dolphin’s Diet, eHow)
• SeaWorld dolphins: under good care of feeders without natural enemies.
Topic sentence: Secondly, wild dolphins and SeaWorld dolphins are different in health.
• SeaWorld dolphins: die in less than 7 years because of chlorine poisoning, diseases and stress related illnesses (Wild Dolphins and Dolphins in Captivity, Dolphin Facts and Information)
• Wild dolphins: live in the ocean with less pathogenic reasons.
Topic sentence: The last but not least, their activeness is another difference.
• Wild dolphins: Swim more than 40 miles a day. (Wild Dolphins and Dolphins in Captivity, Dolphin Facts and Information)
• Wild dolphins: Spend more than 80% of their time in the deep ocean. (Wild Dolphins and Dolphins in Captivity, Dolphin Facts and Information)
• SeaWorld dolphins: Spend only 20% of their time in the deep water. (Wild Dolphins and Dolphins in Captivity, Dolphin Facts and Information)
Thesis: Although dolphins are the same kind of animal, their differences in life depend on the place they live in. Wild dolphins are healthier and more active in the wide ocean, while SeaWorld dolphins are under good care from feeders.