VOCABULARY IN 1984- GEORGE ORWELL
Make sure you are familiar with the following Orwellian terms:
• Big Brother- In the novel, it is unclear if Big Brother is a man or an image crafted by the Party
Ministry of Peace (Newspeak: Minipax)
Conducts Oceania's perpetual war.
Ministry of Plenty (Newspeak: Miniplenty)
Responsible for rationing and controlling food and goods, along with all production of all domestic goods. The Ministry of Plenty declares false claims to have increased the standard of living every time by a considerable amount, when in fact the ministry counteracts its own claims.
Ministry of Truth (Newspeak: Minitrue)
The propaganda arm of Oceania's regime, controlling information: news, entertainment, education, and the fine arts. Winston Smith works for the Records Department (RecDep) of Minitrue, "rectifying" historical records and newspaper articles to make them conform to Big Brother's most recent pronouncements, thus making everything that the Party says 'true'.
Ministry of Love (Newspeak: Miniluv)
The agency is responsible for the identification, monitoring, arrest and torture of dissidents, real or imagined.
• The Party Slogans
• Newspeak(language) –omit words-narrow the range of thoughts and therefore prevents thought crimes.
• Telescreen- The omnipresent telescreens are the book's most visible symbol of the Party's constant monitoring of its subjects. In their dual capability to blare constant propaganda and observe citizens, the telescreens also symbolize how totalitarian government abuses technology for its own ends instead of exploiting its knowledge to improve civilization.
• Ingsoc- the ideology of the totalitarian government of Oceania. Ingsoc is Newspeak for "English Socialism".-demanded complete submission and tortures to achieve it.
• Doublethink- doublethink is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in one's mind at the same time.