SUBJECT : HISTORY – I
SUBJECT CODE : HVB
Indus civilization: Age – Important cities – Town Planning – Urbanization –
Social and Political conditions – Economic life
The Vedic Age: The Vedic literature – Geographical area – Vedic polity –
Social life – Religion- Economic conditions – Political administration- Dhrama
The Sangam Age: The Sangam Literature – Social life – Economic conditions
– Polity and administration.
Religious Movements: Heterodox sets – Causes for the emergence of Jainism
and Buddhism – Sects of Jainism – Percepts and Philosophy of Jainism – Sects
of Buddhism – Percepts and Philosophy of Buddhism – Impact of Jainism and
Buddhism on Indian Culture and Society
Mahajanapadas: Names and their geographical extent – Types of Political
Systems including Republics.
1. The Mauryan Empire: Sources – Arthashastra – Indica – Rock – cut Edicts –
Political Administration including the King, the Central Government, Provincial
Governments, City Administration, Military Administration – Doctrine of
Dhamma – Dhamma Mahamatras – Public Works.
2. Trade and Commerce in the Pre-Gupta and Gupta period: Trade and Commerce –
commodity structure of Trade – Export and Import – socio – economic and
political conditions – Feudalism – Guild System - Revival of Hinduism –
Administration of Justice – Dharmashastras
3. Age of the Pallavas: Socio – economic and political conditions – contribution to
arts and architecture.
4. Age of the Imperial Cholas: Extent of the empire socio – economic and religious
conditions – Trade and Commerce – Political administration including village
administration – contributions to art and architecture.
5. Bhakthi Movement : Alwars and Nayanmars – Adi Sankara – Ramanuja and
Madhava – Sufism - Sufistic orders – Impact on Indian Culture and Society.
1. The Advent of Islam: Interaction between the ancient Indian cultural and Islamic
culture and the...