1. What are the dates of World War I?
2. What were the four MAIN causes of World War I?
3. What were the two alliances Europe was divided into
4. What was the Schlieffen Plan?
5. Many felt World War I would be over before Christmas
1914 - why wasn’t it?
6. Why might ‘futile’ be a good description of trench
7. What was the Battle of Verdun - why was it important?
8. What is meant be the phrase ‘Lions led by Donkeys’?
9. How did new technology make World War I different
from previous conflicts?
10. Why did Russia leave the war?
11. What year did the USA join the war?
12. What is meant by the phrase ‘a war of attrition’?
13. When, officially, did World War I end?
14. In what year were the peace treaties held?
15.What was the peace treaty between the Allies and
Factual Knowledge Questions [Brief, 1 sentence answers]
1. Why did the Schlieffen plan fail?
2. Why did the British attack at the Somme fail?
3. How can General Haig be both a butcher and
4. Why did America join the war in 1917?
5. Why did Britain, France and the USA disagree
about the treatment of Germany after WWI?
EXTENSION QUESTION: ‘Pyrrhic victory’,
‘pointless blundering’ or ’triumph through
adversity’ - which is the best description of the
First World War?
[Pyrrhic = victory achieved at too great a cost]
[Adversity = danger, difficulty or harsh conditions]
Extended questions [At least one paragraph answers]
End of unit assessment
In this section try to put across all your knowledge on
each question - it is more to help you see what you
DO know than to penalise you for what you DON’T!
Take this assessment online at www.SchoolHistory.co.uk