Topic: Why public schools should have mandated uniforms
General purpose: To persuade the audience that we should all support mandatory uniforms in our public schools.
Specific Persuasive Purpose Statement: At the end of my presentation the audience will see and agree that having a mandatory uniform in public schools creates a safer school and better learning environment.
A. Attention Getter:
- It's a fact that violence in schools is prevalent in today's society. We hear of school shootings, swarming’s and attacks on children for their clothing, shoes and milk money. Students have been beaten and robbed for anything they have that is of value. So to lessen this I propose that we make uniforms in public schools mandatory.
* The topic of mandatory school uniforms is very prevalent in our world today. It’s a very discussed topic and hits close to home on many different accounts.
1. Some people here are still in high school and may see the violence first hand and wish for a way to calm it down.
2. There are parents in here that may fear, or even witness the cruelty that goes on in the schools, and maybe see in their own children, maybe a lack of desire to do their best in school, or fear going to school because of the violence.
* This may not be much, but I went to a private high school, and we didn’t have uniforms for my first two years, and even there we had a lot of fighting and many kids skipping and dropping out of school. But my junior year they had us wear uniforms, and within a few months you could tell that the schools atmosphere was much better, and so were our grades, participation, and how everyone treated each other.
* Also my dad being a retired police officer he has dealt with many schools in Austin, and arrested quite a few for drug possession at the high schools, and have had to come and break fights up...