Name: _______________________________________ Date: ______________________
Year & Section: _____________________ Teacher: ________________________
I. MATCHING TYPE:
Match Column A with Column B
CAMILLO DI CAVOUR
UNIFIED PRIME MINISTER
2 POINTS EACH
ITALIAN NATIONALIST LEADER
VICTOR EMMANUEL II
LED THE ITALIAN FORCES
GROUP LED BY GUISEPPE
2 POINTS EACH
After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, Italy gradually developed into a system of city-states. This system lasted through the Renaissance but began to deteriorate with the rise of modern nation-states in the early modern period. Italy, including the Papal States, then became the site of proxy fights between the major powers, notably the Holy Roman Empire (later Austria) and France. In the 1300s, Italian writers had expressed their opposition to foreign domination. For example, Petrarch's Italia Mia stated that the «ancient valor in Italian hearts is not yet dead». Four verses from Italia Mia were quoted in Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince, which looked for a political leader who would unite Italy «to free her from the barbarians.
1. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, Italy gradually developed into what kind of system?
a. system of country states c. system of solar states
b. system of city states d. system of solar system
2. That system lasted through the ____________.
a. Renaissance c. Greek
b. Medieval d. Spartan Generation
3. It began to deteriorate with the rise of the _________________________________.
a. ancient nation-states c. Pokemon nation-states
b. Greek nation-states d. modern nation states
4. Then became the site of proxy fights between the major powers, notably the ___________________ (later Austria) and France
a. Holy Roman Empire c. British Empire
b. Non Roman Empire d. Vienna Empire
5. Four verses from Italia Mia were quoted in Niccolò...