JOSH GABRIEL – I got bored xD
Chapter 7 Sec 1
1. Ellis Island- Island in New York in which immigrants were processed.
2. Angel Island- Island in SanFran in which immigrants were processed
3. Melting pot- a mixture of people of different cultures and races who mixed together by abandoning their native languages and customs
4. Nativism- favoritism toward native-born Americans
5. Chinese exclusion act- banned entry to all Chinese except students, teachers, merchants, tourists and government officials
6. Gentlemen’s agreement- (1907-1908) Japan’s gov. agreed to limit emigration of unskilled workers to the USA in exchange for the repeal of the San Francisco segregation order
7. Identifying the Problems
a. I think the Asians faced the most hardship when they came to America. This is because the Europeans looked like Americans an basically they ARE American.
b. The economy boomed when immigrants came to America, Factories booming and cities and urban growth.
8. Chapter 7 Sec 2
c. Urbanization- growth of cities
d. Americanization movement- designed to assimilate people to be more American. Whatever that is.
e. Tenement- multifamily urban dwelling, often overpopulated and very dirty
f. Mass transit- transportation system designed to move mass amounts of people
g. social gospel movement- reform program, preached salvation, wanted to help poor
h. Settlement house- community centers in run-down neighborhoods, provided assistance to mainly immigrants
i. Jane Addams- She cofounded Chicago’s Hull House in 1889. Co-winner of Nobel Peace Prize in 1931.
9. Analyzing Motives
j. They grouped together because they had the same culture, language, customs, which were different then the once that Americans had.
k. I think that the action that had the most impact was when transportation began to improve. This helped people all around, they...