A SUMMARY OF THE SYNDROME:
WHAT? Pine Mouth results from ingestion of pine nuts; eating pine nuts leaves you with a metallic taste in your mouth that can last for weeks afterward, and make eating or drinking anything an unpleasant experience.
CAUSE? Well they’re not really sure. One theory is that the pine nuts may become oxidized causing them to be unfit for consumption.
WHO? Not everyone is affected. Many people may eat the same dish and everyone, no one, or only some may be affected. People who eat pine nuts regularly have reported the problem. People who eat them seldom have reported the problem. Pine mouth does not seem to be linked to allergies or an allergic reaction. It seems like people all over the world are suffering (US, Canada, South Africa, Finland, Iceland, Germany, and many more)
WHO’S THE CULPRIT? Problems seemed to begin with Chinese pine nuts imported into the U.S. about a year ago…I’d say it’s Gaby’s fault!
SO THE CHINESE ARE POISONING ME? AM I GOING TO DIE? Well China is probably trying to kill us, but studies have shown that there is no heavy-metal contamination or pesticide or fungus involved. Also, distributors like Trader Joe’s have sold pine nuts that have cause pine mouth, and they sell Russian-made pine nuts.
SYMPTOMS? Taste disturbances described as foul, metallic, rank, gastric, bitter, and medicine-like linger at the back of the mouth. The taste is triggered by food consumption of beverages. The taste makes virtually all food and drink unpalatable.
ONSET? Taste disturbances may appear 1-3 days after ingestion of pine nuts
PROGNOSIS? Taste disturbances may last for days or weeks. Though very unpleasant, there does not seem to be any real health risk (unless of course you have misdiagnosed yourself and you actually have something like arsenic poisoning, cancer, tooth decay, diabetes, nerve damage, pregnancy, water poisoning, etc.)
CURE? There does not seem to be a cure for Pine Mouth. It seems as though you just have to...