ART 101 Week 5 Individual Painting Styles
Resource: Appendix B
Review pp. 504–518 in Ch. 20 & Ch. 21 of A World of Art
View the Neoclassic piece The Emperor Napoleon in His Study at the Tuileries by Jacques Louis David, on the National Gallery of Art website, located in Appendix B. To access the piece, do the following:
· Type The Emperor Napoleon in His Study at the Tuileries into the Search This Site box.
· Click The Emperor Napoleon in His Study at the Tuileries.
View the Impressionist piece The Luncheon of the Boating Party by Pierre-Auguste Renoir, on the Phillips Collection website, located in Appendix B. To access the piece, do the following:
· Click the link to go to the Phillips Collection home page.
· Select Collection.
· Click Luncheon of the Boating Party from the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen.
View the Abstract Expressionist piece Autumn Rhythm (Number 30) by Jackson Pollock, on the Metropolitan Museum of Art website, located in Appendix B. To access the piece, do the following:
· Click the link to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art home page.
· Select Works of Art.
· Type Autumn Rhythm in the Search box, and select the first item that comes up.
· You may also find the following helpful:
o The Works in Progress explanation of Pollock on pp. 134–135 in Ch. 7 of A World of Art
o MyArtsLab - The Closer Look at Pollock’s Autumn Rhythm under Ch. 7
o MyArtsLab - The video link of Jackson Pollock at Work under Ch. 7
Write a 500- to 700-word summary that compares and contrasts Neoclassicism, Impressionism, and Abstract Expressionism. Use the selected artwork as your examples. Include the following in your discussion:
· How each style reflects its era and the culture
· Discussion of painting techniques
· Formal elements
Format your summary consistent with APA guidelines.