DEVRY ACCT 553 Final Exam
Check this A+ tutorial guideline at
For more classes visit
ACCT 553 Final Exam
1. (TCO E) Zelda Zayer has been a widow for over 3 years and files a return as a single taxpayer. Items of income received by Zelda in 2011 were as follows.
Interest on savings account with Bank of America: $50
Interest on state income tax refund: $25
Gambling winnings: $2,400
Dividends from mutual life insurance company on life insurance policy: $500
Dividends from Better Auto Co. received on January 2, 2011: $875
The total dividends received on the life insurance policy do not exceed the aggregate of the premiums paid to the company.
(a) How much should Zelda include in her 2011 taxable income as interest?
(b) How much should Zelda report as dividend income for 2011?
(c) How much should Zelda include in taxable “Other Income” for her state lottery winnings?
2. (TCO E) Distinguish between realized gains and losses and recognized gains and losses.(Points : 17)
3. (TCO F) Describe the current tax law for sale of residence.(Points : 17)
4. (TCO G) Briefly describe what “material participation” is. Why is the determination of whether a taxpayer materially participates important?(Points : 17)
5. (TCO I) Amos, a single individual with a salary of $50,000, incurred and paid the following expenses during the year.
Medical expenses: $5,000
Casualty loss (after $100 floor): $1,000
State income taxes: $4,000
Moving expenses: $1,500
Contribution to a traditional IRA: $2,000
Student loan interest: $1,200
Analyze the above expenses and determine which ones are deductible for AGI. Please support your position.(Points : 17)
6. (TCO I) A review of Bearing’s Year 2 records disclosed the following tax information:
Taxable interest and qualifying dividends
Schedule C trucking business net income