1. Cytology- the study of cells
2. cell- the functional and structural unit of life; composed of neat rows and “boxes”
3. protoplasm- used to refer to the entire contents of cells
4. cell theory- theory that all living organisms are made up of cells
5. unicellular organism- organisms composed of only one cell
6. multicellular organism- made up of many cells; some are colonial
7. colonial organism- collection of similar cells living together and any of the cells could carry on the process of the organism if they were separated from the colony.
8. tissue- a group of similar cells that work together to carry out a specific function
9. organs- tissues formed together to perform a specific function
10. organ system- made up of a group of organs that work together to accomplish life functions
11. cell junction- chemical interactions between proteins forming connections between cells.
12. plasmodesmata- tiny passageways in plant cells that the cytoplasm is connected to
13. eukaryotic- have a membrane bound nucleus and organelles in the cytoplasm
14. organelle- cytoplasmic structure that performs special functions in the cell
15. prokaryotic- group of cells that lack a membrane around the nucleus and contains only non-membrane bound organelles
16. plasma membrane- serves as the outermost boundary of the cell itself ; structure that separates and protects the cell from its environment
17. fluid mosaic model-a model describing cellular membranes as being composed of a lipid bilayer with proteins scattered throughout the membrane
18. cell wall- rigid structure that is located on the outside of the plasma membrane and made primarily of cellulose and usually have two layers that form at different times
19. capsule- cellular secretion that gives the slimy feel
20. sheath- in addition to or in place of a cell wall; same things as a capsule
21. cytoplasm- refers to all of...