oihvadroihvbadoihvbdaCelina & Jack
Neff ~ 5th
1930’s Scavenger Hunt
(Work with a partner. Record answers on a sheet of paper.)
Research the following questions – answer the question – and give the URL of the website where you found the information. Submit hardcopy to Ms. Neff on Thursday at the end of class.
1. Who was the president(s) during this time (1930-1939)?
Herbert Hoover and Franklin D. Roosevelt http://www.presidentsusa.net/presvplist.html
2. What type of music was popular during this time period?
In the 1930s, big bands and swing music were popular, with Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, and Glenn Miller popular bandleaders. In the 1940s, the bands started to break up, and band singers like Frank Sinatra and Sarah Vaughan went out on their own. War songs became popular. http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/presentationsandactivities/presentations/timeline/depwwii/art/
3. What 5 communication inventions happened?
Musical Organ, View Master, Iconoscope, Richter scale for Earthquakes, and Radio Telescope
4. What other inventions occurred?
Helicopter, Jet Engine, Ball Point Pen, Scotch Tape, and Fiber Glass
5. What kinds of houses were available during this time period and what was the average cost?
California Homes, English Style, and Cottage Homes were kinds of houses that were available. In 1930 average new house cost $7,145.00 and by 1939 was $3,800.00 more
6. What was the 2 most popular radio shows during this time?
Little Orphan Annie and the Grade Ole Opry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment_during_the_Great_Depression
7. What was the reason for the 1936-1937 strike at the GM plant in Detroit, MI?
In July of...