ACCT 311 Homework Assignment #7
Homework Assignment #7
1. On December 31, Year One, Ace signs a lease to use a truck for four years. The truck has a current value of $58,600. Four annual payments of $10,000 are to be paid with the first made on December 31, Year One. After that time, the truck (with an expected life of eight years) will be returned to the lessor. Ace has an incremental borrowing rate of 6 percent. The lessor has an implicit annual interest rate of 8 percent built into the contract. Ace is aware of this implicit rate. The present value of a four-year annuity due of $10,000 at a 6 percent annual rate is $36,700. The present value of a four-year annuity due of $10,000 at an 8 percent annual rate is $35,770. What liability should Ace report on its December 31, Year One, balance sheet?
2. A company leases a machine on January 1, Year One for five years which call for annual payments of $4,000 for the first year and then $10,000 per year after that. The present value of these payments based on a reasonable interest rate of 10 percent is assumed to be $38,000. This lease is an operating lease. How much expense will the company recognize for Year One?
3. On January 1, Year One, Owens buys a large warehouse for $700,000 which it immediately sells to National Financing for $800,000. The warehouse has an expected life of 10 years. Owens immediately signs a contract to lease the warehouse back for its own use. This lease is for 10 years with payments of $120,000 per year. The first payment is made immediately. Assume that these payments were computed using a 10 percent annual interest rate. Which of the following statements is true?
1. The $100,000 gain on the original sale must be recognized by Owens immediately.
2. The $100,000 gain on the original sale will be recorded by Owens as...