Axia College Material
Building a Medical Vocabulary Ch. 2
Complete activities A, B, & C, and post to the Individual forum.
A. Use the word bank below to build the medical word that corresponds to each definition in problems 1-13. Click the grey box to begin typing.
1. Pertaining to the lower back lumbo/o
2. Pertaining to below the stomach gastr/o
3. Pertaining to the naval umbilic/o
4. Pertaining to the front part anter/o
5. Pertaining to going toward the front part ventr/o
6. Pertaining to the groin inguin/o
7. Pertaining to the back part post/o
8. Pertaining to going toward the back part dors/o
9. Pertaining to going toward the middle medi/o
10. Pertaining to going toward the side later/o
11. Pertaining to above super/o
12. Pertaining to below infer/o
13. In the direction of the tailbone caud/o
B. Define the following words or word parts.
C. In this activity, break the medical word into its word parts. Using the word parts, create a definition of the word. Write a sentence using the word in a medical context. Use the table to record your answers.
A prefix denoting ‘towards’ as in addiction.
A suffix denoting comparatives as in ‘superior’
A suffix denoting a body of facts, knowledge, principles, as in ‘kinetics’; as denotes action, activities, or practice of as in athletics.
A prefix that could mean three things: upward, or up as in anabolism: backward or back as in “anaplasia’ and again or a new as in “anaphylaxis.
Lying on abdomen or face.
Lying on back or face and palms up.
Refers to the internal organs of the body.
Lying or extending across or in a cross direction.