Essay 1: Description—Superman and Me
Due through E-Campus by Midnight Saturday, September 21 (100 pts).
Peer Review due Tuesday, September 17 in class (10 pts.)
Your task is to write a five paragraph descriptive essay answering the following prompt:
In his beginning, describe how was it that Alexie learned to “read,” describe how Alexie early success is responded to on the reservation, and whether you agree with Alexie that this response would have been different had he been growing up elsewhere? Why or why not?
Try to get the readers so completely engaged with this description that they are able to see and feel what you experienced as you read Superman and Me. Your goal as an author is to create a strong dominant impression so that your readers can form a clear, memorable impression of your thoughts and feelings.
Do your best in selecting the right adjectives (describing words) and strong verbs (action verbs) that will help paint a complete and accurate picture of ideas?
Consider the following as you prepare to write your essay.
* The Topic: Unusual Presentation
Remember to add passion to your paper – it should be emotional and fun!
* Your Feelings: How Do You Feel about the subject?
* Your Ideas: What Do You Think about It?
* Your Associations: Does It Remind You of Anything?
* How the Others See It: What Is the Common Idea of This Thing?
* Conclusion: Restate Your Impressions
Although this is a descriptive essay, pay attention to how other rhetorical strategies (such as example, comparison/contrast, narration, etc) can best support the essay’s dominant impression. To make your impression more vivid, you might use figurative language to fill out your descriptions.
* Your final draft must be typed, double-spaced, 12” font, Times New Roman, in MLA Format Heading (EW), and two (2) to three (3) pages long but not more than three pages.
* When you turn in your final draft, it must be accompanied by...