FHSC1214 Fundamental of cell biology
Objective: To investigate the effect of salivary amylase and hydrochloric acid on two carbohydrate solutions at different temperature.
which the salivary amylase digests starch into glucose
Apparatus & Equipments:
Boiling tube, Metal boiling tube racks, Beaker, Water bath, 37~40.C , Water bath, ~90~95.C
Carbohydrate solution A, Carbohydrate solution B, Benedict’s solution, 3M Hydrochloric acid, 3M sodium hydroxide
1. This experiment was done in pairs. To avoid congestion, each pair collected the following before beginning the experiment:
a. 8ml NAOH
b. 16ml Benedict’s solution
c. 10ml solution A
d. 30ml solution B
e. 2ml HCL
f. Rubber teat
g. Metal boiling tube racks(not wooden)
2. Two boiling tubes containing 4ml solution A and 4ml solution B respectively were prepared. A few drop of Benedict’ solution was added to each boiling tube. Both boiling tube together were heated in the hotter (~90-95.c)water bath for two minutes.The results were recorded in Table 1.
3. Two boiling tubes containing 4ml solution A and 4ml solution B respectively were prepared. A few drop of iodine solution was added to each boiling tube. The results were recorded in Table 1.
4. 4ml of solution B was measured by rubber teat and poured into each of four boiling tubes. The boiling tubes 1,2,3 and 4 were labelled respectively with labelling paper near mouth of tube. Tubes 1 and 2 were placed in a water bath of ~37.c.
5. A beaker was salivated till it reached a height of about 2cm~3cm. The saliva was diluted by distilled water with ratio 1:1 .
6. 2ml of the diluted saliva prepared in(3) was measured out. 1ml of diluted saliva was pipetted into each tubes 1 and 4 by using rubber teat. The contents of the tubes well were shaken well to ensure thorough mixing.
7. 2ml of HCL was measured out. 1ml of HCL was pipetted into each tubes 2(already in water bath of ~37.c) and 3 by using rubber teat. Adding of...