You Decide Template
Name ____________ Date______
Your role is to decide if Karen is an independent contractor or an employee and discuss some of the preventative and ethical situations that are occurring in this case.
1. Do you feel that Karen is an independent contractor or an employee? What is your rationale for this decision?
My humble opinion after reviewing all the information provided, Karen was working as an employee for the Cynthia because she was under the supervision of her. Independent contractor works without any supervision and instructions, and she has been working for the company for over five year. Independent contractors used to work for very short duration of time or with many company at one time. She was also working on company’s premises using equipment and tools for the completion of the project where other employees of the company work. Company was not deducting any employment wages and Medicare from her salary, as she has been receiving 1099 form which means she was responsible for her own taxes and insurance.
2. What factors do you feel help contribute to Karen being an employee?
We can help Karen by giving these factors:
1. Karen was working under the supervision of the Cynthia, for the completion of her work.
2. Continue relationship: Karen was working for Cynthia more than 5 years which is also a help helpful factor to determine Karen’s employment status.
3. We can say Karen was financially depended on the company for the assistance, although it is not clearly stated in the scenario but we can use this factor by applying financial control fact.
4. If we use behavioral control fact, Karen was controlled by the Cynthia about where she can complete her work and providing different ways for the help.
5. Karen was responsible to complete her work on time and also for causing any loss to the company.
6. However, hourly pay or monthly salary is...