Proposal to include “Charades” as part of the bonus games for Inter House games ‘09
How it would apply to the inter-house games:
• A bonus game of Charades would be held at the concourse throughout the duration of the inter-house games
• Groups from all houses can choose to take part
• Points would be awarded to winning teams which would be accounted for in the overall house championship
is a game of pantomimes: you have to "act out" a phrase without speaking, while the other members of your team try to guess what the phrase is. The objective is for the respective teams to guess the phrase as quickly as possible.
• a stopwatch or other timing device
• a notepad and pencil for scorekeeping
• blank slips of paper
• two baskets or other containers for the slips
Divide the slips of paper between the two teams. Select a neutral timekeeper/scorekeeper, or pick members from each team to take turns. Agree on how many rounds to play. Review the gestures and hand signals and invent any others you deem appropriate.
The teams temporarily adjourn to separate locations near the concourse, to come up with phrases to put on their pieces of paper. These phrases may either be quotations or titles of books, movies, plays, television shows, and songs. Here are some suggested rules to prevent the phrases from being too hard to guess:
• no team should write down any phrase unless at least three people on the team have heard of it;
• no phrase should be longer than seven words;
• no phrase should consist solely of a proper name (i.e., it should also contain other words);
• no foreign phrases are allowed.
Once they have finished writing their phrases, the teams come back to the same room.
Each round of the game proceeds as follows:
• A player from Team A draws a phrase slip from Team B's basket. After he/she has had a short time to review the slip, the timekeeper for team B notes the time and tells the...