CRJ 320 WK 1 Quiz 1 Chapter 1
Purchase this tutorial here:
1. The Latin term that means “to track or trace” and that relates most closely with contemporary police investigations is
a. nolo contendere.
b. voir dire.
2. Which term describes a logical process in which a conclusion follows from specific facts?
a. voir dire
b. deductive reasoning
c. circumstantial evidence
d. Locard’s principle of exchange
e. latent investigations
3. According to the text, most cases that are lost are lost during what part of the investigation?
a. in the first hour c. in the forensic lab
b. before the 911 call is ever made d. when witnesses recant testimony
4. Spontaneous statements uttered by a suspect at the time of a crime, concerning and closely related to actions involved in the crime, are referred to as what type of statements?
a. in flagrante delicto c. res gestae
b. exculpatory d. uttering
5. In cases where officers were not able to complete the investigation for some reason, what may be required?
a. redaction c. motion to dismiss
b. follow-up investigation d. waiver of a speedy trial
6. According to the text, when both the public and other professions within the justice system have unrealistic expectations of CSI abilities, law enforcement agencies are said to be suffering from what?
a. Grissom effect c. CSI effect
b. TV syndrome d. Peel disturbance
7. Crime mapping focuses on
a. hot spots where crime occurs.
b. developing leads through the use of city maps and districts.
c. the use of maps to direct officers to the scene.
d. triangulating cell phone usage with criminal activity.
8. The act of sifting through the mountains of available information to find the data that pertains to an investigator’s case is referred to as
a. data dumping.
b. motion to allow discovery from defense.