Chana Masala (Spicy Chickpeas) with Spinach
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
• 1 can chickpeas in water (also called garbanzo beans) or 1 1/2 cups precooked + 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, diced
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• juice from one lemon (approx 2 tbsp)
• 1/2 tsp curry powder
• 1/2 tsp coriander powder
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• 1/2 tsp garam masala
• 1 large bunch of Callaloo or two handfuls, rinsed
In a large skillet or frying pan, sautee onions and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
Add chickpeas straight from the can, including all the water. Add spices and lemon juice, cover, and simmer about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more water if needed, until chickpeas are cooked and soft.
Reduce heat, add spinach and cover. Allow spinach to wilt for 2-4 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy your chana masala!
Bhindi Ki Subji (stir-fried okra)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 1/2 kg fresh okra tops and tails cut off and diced into 1" pieces
• 2 tsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 large onion sliced thin
• 2 green chillies chopped fine
• 6 cloves of garlic minced
• 1 tsp coriander powder
• 1/4 tsp dry mango powder
• 2 large tomatoes cut into small cubes
• Salt to taste
• Heat the oil in a wide pan on a medium flame and add the cumin seeds. Fry till they stop sizzling.
• Add the onion, green chilli and garlic and fry till the onions turn light brown.
• Add the okra and mix well.
• Add the coriander and dry mango powders and mix again. Season to taste. Fry for 5-7 minutes.
• Add the tomato and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
• Serve immediately with hot chapatis...