· Four major competitors are mainly concentrated on these
heavyweight motorcycle segments: in addition to Harley-
Davidson the other three are Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda all are
· Some of the major competitors of Harley-Davidson have larger
financial and marketing resources and are more diversified
(Example: Yamaha, half of its revenue is only from motorcycles).
· Polaris (American snowmobile/ATV manufacturer) producer of
“Victory” motorcycles priced its motorcycles below the Harley-
· Strategic alliance between Suzuki and Kawazaki in the areas of
product development, design, engineering, and manufacturing of
motorcycles, this alliance strengthened both companies’ global
· Honda, the main competitor of Harley-Davidson in U.S eat up
some market share of Harley-Davidson.
· Entry barrier is very high is this segment, because this segment
needs a lot of capital investment and the industry is on a
maturity stage, so that there is only four main competitors.
· The economies of scale are low in this segment, which is the
reason why there are only four major players.
· There is some small scale producers, who are making these
custom made motor cycles but the amount of their production is
not at all a threat for Harley-Davidson, and they are increasing
the interest of motorcycles among the general public.
· Harley-Davidson motorcycles are a luxury vehicle, so that there is
only a few close substitutes for heavy weight motorcycles that
could seriously affect the market.
· Passenger cars, sports bikes, scooter bikes are the main
substitutes of Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
· The people who are thinking of buying a heavy weight motorcycle
are not seriously considering one of these options, scooter, sports
· In India Enfield can pose as a small substitute.
Power of suppliers
· Steel, basic electrical equipments...