Lesson 1 GUM
Activity 1--Pronoun Reference
1. Our German conversation group is made up of six people, three of whom I had never met before.
2. Many people believe that the polygraph test is highly reliable if one employs a licensed examiner.
3. Parent involvement is high at Mission San Jose High School. Parents participate in many committees and activities that affect all aspects of school life.
4. Because of his outspoken attitude toward fascism, Paul Robeson was labeled a Communist.
5. In the report, the author points out that the bald eagle, after several decades of protection, was removed from the endangered species list in 1997.
Activity 2--Pronoun Case
1. The squawk of the brass horns nearly overwhelmed us oboe and bassoon players. [Correct]
2. Ushio, the last rock climber up the wall, tossed Terri and her the remaining pitons and carabiners.
3. The programmer realized that she and the interface designers were creating an entirely new Web application.
4. My desire to understand classical music was aided by my working as an usher at Symphony Hall.
5. The shower of sinking bricks caused him and his diving partner to race away from the collapsing seawall.
Activity 3--The Semicolon
1. Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by the traffic from both sides.
2. Another delicious dish is the chef's special, a roasted duck rubbed with spices and stuffed with wild rice.
3. Martin Luther King, Jr. had not always intended to be a preacher; initially, he had planned to become a lawyer.
4. We all assumed that the thief had been Jean's boyfriend, even though we had seen him only from the back.
5. Some educators believe that African American history should be taught in separate courses, others prefer to see it integrated into survey courses. [Correct]