BIO 101 LAB 3
1. What type of microscope would be used in the laboratory to observe very small objects or organisms on a slide? Please give reasoning behind the answer. Which microscope would be useful when studying the internal structure of a minute specimen? (2 points)--Answer below:
a) A compound microscope because it is able to magnify 1000X and has a powerful light source that shines on the specimen and that allows us to see the specimens using the magnified lenses with our naked eye.
b) A transmission electron microscope would be useful when studying the internal structure of a specimen.
2. List two jobs where microscopes are used. Describe in what capacity. (2 points) --Answer below:
a) A pathologist uses a microscope to observe the skin for diseased tissues and look for the underlying cause for the disease. They need the microscope so they can examine the small blood and skin samples to determine what kind of infection and figure out how to treat it.
b) A cytologist uses a microscope to study cells and looks for abnormalities like infections, cancerous growth, or tumors. They need to use the microscope to be able to see the cells and detect the tiny changes in the cell.
3. Why is special paper used to clean the lenses of a microscope? (1 point)--Answer below:
The lens paper is soft, compared to using another surface. By using a cloth or a paper towel they could contain tiny fibers, causing the lens to scratch. Also particles of the paper towel or cloth could be left on the microscope causing it to remain dirty or for you to have an inaccurate view of the specimen.
4. What type of microscope has primarily been used in this lab? (1 point)--Answer below:
A compound microscope was primarily used in our lab.
5. State the function of the following parts of the microscope: (3 points) A. iris diaphragm B. ocular lens C. condenser --Answer below:
a) Iris Diaphragm: It regulates the amount of light that shines on the specimen you are...