Twelve Questions for Clarifying PepsiCo’s Mission
1a) What business(es) are we in?
PepsiCo is in the businesses of beverages, snacks, ready-to-eat breakfast, and rice/pasta.
1b) What businesses could we be in?
PepsiCo could be in the businesses of candy and alcoholic beverages.
1c) What business(es) should we be in?
PepsiCo should be in the business of candy.
1d) What business(es) should we not be in?
PepsiCo should not be in the business of alcoholic beverages.
2) Why do we exist (What is our basic purpose)?
PepsiCo exists because of the perfect amount of importance is given to its stakeholders, employees, and customers.
3) What is unique or distinctive about our organization?
PepsiCo has the largest market share in nonalcoholic soft drinks as well as salty snacks.
4) Who are or should be our principal customers, clients, or users?
PepsiCo’s customers are anybody who likes to enjoy a salty snack or refreshing beverage. PepsiCo’s clients should be companies that can help expand their reach in the market.
5) Who are or should be our principal market segments, present and future?
PepsiCo should continue to expand in the international markets with foreign company purchases.
6) Who are or should be our principal products/services, present and future?
PepsiCo’s current products are at the top of their respective markets and should continue to be the main focus.
7) Who are or should be our principal outlets or distribution channels, present and future?
PepsiCo’s current distribution channels are sporting events, convenience and grocery stores, businesses, and fundraising.