Political events in Singapore
1. Initially the people of Singapore gave full support of the Malaysian concept of the formation of a new country, but the political changes changed their minds.
2. PAP government under the leadership of Lee Kuan Yew received opposition from United People’s Party(UPP) which act as a socialist party and the aim is to bring independence to Singapore by a different ideology.
3. During the Hong Lim constituency bye election(April 1691), Ong Eng Guan, leader of UPP won the election against the PAP camdidate. (the opposition of UPP was shown)
4. During the Anson bye-election(July 1961), a left wing PAP group switched side and gave support to a Labour Party candidate.
Internal events resulted the Singapore’s seperation
1. About two years after the formation of Singapore, the racial polarization occurred between the Malay extremists in Malaya and Chinese extremists in Singapore.
2. The channel of dispute was the PAP and the Aliance in Makaya.
3. In the 1st Malaysian general election, Lee Kuan Yew and several PAP leaders belittled MCA that MCA leaders lack of caliber and were too friendly with UMNO leaders which offended both parties’ leaders.
4. PAP called the chinese to support the PAP and forced UMNO to alter their social and economic treatment and this directly attacked on Malay people and the special rights of them.
5. More and more leaders joining in the fray making the situation be worsen.
6. Singapore announced a convention to form a “United Opposition Front” with the aim for fighting the equality for rights.
7. Lee started his “Malaysia For Malaysians” campaign underlining there was no community in Malaysia and it challenged to Malaya’s status.
8. The situation becoming worsen after the UMNO extremists under Jaafar Albar reacted against Lee’s “Malaysoan Malaysia” campaign with a call “Malays Unite”.
9. The bumiputra policy of positive racial discrimination to the Malays would be...