Actually Republic of Sierra lone
• West African country, bordered by Guinea in the northeast, Liberia in the southeast, and the Atlantic Ocean in the southwest
• 83/km2 compared to 252/km2 of uk: not very populated like other countries in that area
• It has a tropical climate, with a diverse environment ranging from savannah to rainforests.
• Freetown is the capital, seat of government, and largest city. Bo is the second largest city
• Home to Fourah Bay College, the oldest university in West Africa, established in 1827.
• In 1462, visited by the Portuguese explorer Pedro da Cintra, who gave it its name Serra de Leão, meaning 'Lion Mountains'.
• Important center in transantlantic slave trade.
• In 1787 the Sierra Leone company founded Freetown for former slaves and west indians.
• Sierra Leone company was the organisation involved in founding the first African American colony in Africa. Colony for the “black poor”.
• 1808, Freetown became a British Crown Colony, and in 1896, the interior of the country became a British Protectorate; in 1961, the two combined and gained independence.
• HDI= 0.336 (very low-last in ranking) out of 1 – “1/3 developed”
• GDP(PPP)=$3.974 billion
• Per Capita = $692 (compare to 36 thousand for UK)
• Infant mortality: 156.48 deaths/1,000 live births
• Maternal mortality ratio=2,000 à#1 very high, Sweden and other countries have 2
• Literacy = 35.1% - very low
• Literacy as a percentage of women compared to men: 45% = basically less than half the number of literate women compared to number of literate men.
Problems and the way forward
Corruption: It is believed that money needed for basic education, healthcare and water, is being used for private investment by high government officials.
Police have also been abusing their power; extortion and rape of arrested women are the main concerns. To solve this, the U.N should be pressured into investigating these areas by...