Facts about Spiders:
* Spiders are arachnids, not insects.
* Other members of the arachnid family include scorpions, mites, ticks and harvestmen.
* Spiders have 8 legs while insects have 6.
* Spiders don’t have antennae while insects do.
* The average housefly only lives for 2 or 3 weeks.
* Mosquitoes can be annoying insects but did you know that it's only the female mosquito that actually bites humans.
* Cats use their whiskers to check whether a space is too small for them to fit through or not.
Carbon dioxide gas dissolved in soft drinks gives them their fizz. You can use the carbon dioxide fizz from a soft drink to make raisins dance.
For this experiment you will need:
* a can of colorless soda (e.g., 7-Up or Sprite)
* a tall, clear glass or plastic cup
* several raisins (fresh raisins work the best)
* Pour the can of soda into the tall glass. Notice the bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. The bubbles are carbon dioxide gas released from the liquid.
* Drop 6 or 7 raisins into the glass. Watch the raisins for a few seconds. Describe what is happening to the raisins. Do they sink or float? Keep watching; what happens in the next several minutes?
* Raisins are denser than the liquid in the soda, so initially they sink to the bottom of the glass. The carbonated soft drink releases carbon dioxide bubbles. When these bubbles stick to the rough surface of a raisin, the raisin is lifted because of the increase in buoyancy. When the raisin reaches the surface, the bubbles pop, and the carbon dioxide gas escapes into the air. This causes the raisin to lose buoyancy and sink. This rising and sinking of the raisins continues until most of the carbon dioxide has escaped, and the soda goes flat. Furthermore, with time the raisin gets soggy and becomes too heavy to rise to the surface.
* You might want to try other objects to see if they exhibit this...