* Tall perennial plant.
* Erects up to 5–6 meters
* Produces multiple stems.
* 4 principle parts: Root system; Stalk; Leaves; Inflorescence
* Sheath is green with red blotches.
* Scarious border.
* Inflorescence generally called the ‘arrow’ is an open panicle( loose, irregularly branched, flower cluster) ~ 30 cm + & tapering.
* Cane is slightly staggered; medium thick; slightly oval in c/s; internal tissue is yellow with purple tinge; rind hard; pith as small cavity.
* Node & bud slightly depressed.
* Buds are medium; plumpy; ovate.
* Most efficient storer of solar energy & its conversion into sucrose.
1. Germination Phase.
2. Tillering Phase.
3. Grand Growth Phase.
4. Mature & Ripening Phase.
1 serving (28.35gms) of sugarcane juice has:
* Energy–26.6 kcal
ZONES OF CULTIVATION IN INDIA:
* North western zone
* North central zone
* North eastern zone
* Peninsular zone
* Coastal zone
TROPICAL REGION SUB–TROPICAL REGION
~45% of total Sugarcane area ~55% of total Sugarcane area
~55% of total sugarcane prod. ~45% total sugarcane prod.
4 Peninsular+5 Coastal regions:
* Maharashtra ● U.P
* Andhra Pradesh...