University of Phoenix Material
Respond to the following based on the information in the “Suicide Rates by Age Group” article:
1. What has been the trend in suicide rates over the past few years?
The trend has been a decline in US suicide rates.
2. What part of the U.S. has the highest suicide rate?
In the U.S. the West has the highest suicide rate.
3. List three risk factors for suicide.
Three risk factors for suicide are previous diagnosis of major depression, bipolar disorder, and substance abuse.
4. Many researchers worry that suicide rates for adolescents and older adults continue to increase. What does the research data show about these age groups?
The research data shows that both groups actually were the most likely to have higher increase in suicide rates, however both groups have shown a steady decrease in suicides since the 1980’s.
5. In the U.S., what demographic has the highest rate of suicide?
Older White men are the demographic with the highest rate of suicide.
6. List four possible reasons for the observed decrease in suicide rates.
Four possible reasons for the observed decrease in suicide rates are economic prosperity of the 1990s, the increase in healthy life expectancy, decline in substance abuse, and the decline in homicide rates from 1960 to 1999 (McKeown, Cuffe, and Schulz, 2006).
7. Recent media reports have suggested that medications may provoke suicidal behavior, particularly in adolescents. As a precautionary step, the FDA issued a public health advisory warning doctors to watch patients closely for worsening depression when medication is first prescribed. What does the data show about the effects of medication and suicide?
The data has shown a 1.5- to 2-fold increase in suicide-related behavior among children who were given SSRIs compared with children who were given a placebo (McKeown, Cuffe, and Schulz,...