The Secret Life of Bees Essay Assignment
Honors Survey Literature
You are to choose from one of the topics below and write a 5 paragraph literary analysis. You should include quotes in each body paragraph for support and follow the format for writing a literary analysis that we go over in class. Additional guidelines are included below.
1. Choose a symbol from the story and define its meaning in your thesis. Then, in each body paragraph discuss three separate impacts this symbol has on the characters in the novel.
2. Define Lily as a round character in the novel. Address how she changes from the beginning, middle, and end. Each paragraph should focus on those specific time periods in the novel.
3. How does Lily’s concept of race change throughout the novel? Address this concept from beginning, middle, and end. Each paragraph should focus on those specific time periods in the novel.
4. Define a theme from the novel and discuss three specific events from the novel that support your theme.
**I encourage you to come up with your own topic as well. It is important that you write about something you care about and are interested in.**
1. 500-750 words in length
2. Introduction must have a clearly stated thesis statement.
3. 3-5 body paragraphs must have clearly stated topic sentences.
4. Essay must have a concluding paragraph.
5. Essay must contain plenty of textual evidence with embedded quotations. These quotations MUST be documented.
6. Essay must be typed, double spaced in 12 point font with a proper MLA Heading.
7. This is a formal essay; therefore, no first person, no second person, no slang and no contractions.
1. Prewriting: An outline with a thesis statement, main ideas and quotations is due Friday November 9th.
2. First draft with highlighted thesis statement and topic sentences in each body paragraph. This will be checked in class on Wednesday November 14th.
3. Final Draft will be due Monday...