Axia College Material
Using Microsoft® Word to Help With Formatting Basics
You can use the menus and toolbars in Microsoft® Word to help you format academic papers according to Axia College requirements and APA style guidelines.
Fonts come in two types: serif and sans serif.
• Serif–This is an example of a Serif font. The most popular serif fonts include Times New Roman, Century Schoolbook, and Garamond. Books, newspapers, and other printed materials (excluding electronic materials) typically use serif fonts, which are easier to read in hard copy. Most readers are accustomed to seeing these fonts.
• Sans Serif–This is an example of a Sans Serif font. The clean, simple lines of sans serif fonts are preferable for viewing print on a computer screen.
Do not use fonts such as Broadway, Comic Sans, or any other elaborate or fancy font for academic papers—these fonts detract from the readability of the paper. Use Times New Roman for all your Axia papers.
The font size should be set at 12-point for the entire paper, including the title page.
To select a font style and font size in Word:
1. On the toolbar at the top of the screen, click the Format menu and select Font from the drop-down list.
2. Under Font, you will see the following textbox:
3. Scroll through the choices and select the font (Times New Roman), the font style (regular), and the font size (12) you need for your paper.
You must use the same font throughout the entire paper. To set the default font size and type for the entire paper, go to Format and click Font; then, choose Default at the bottom of the screen. Setting the default will ensure the same font not only for this paper but also for all other documents you subsequently create.
Margins must be set at 1 inch for all sides of the paper. Note: Although APA guidelines permit the left...