Their Eyes Were Watching God Quotes
Directions: Know the meaning of each quote and its importance to the novel/characters.
1. “‘Yes indeed. You know if you pass some people and don’t speak tuh suit ’em dey got tuh go away back in yo’ life and see whut you ever done. They know mo ’bout yuh than you do yo’ self. An envious heart makes a treacherous ear. They done ‘heard’ ’bout you just what they hope done happened’” (Janie to Pheoby, Chapter 1, 5).
2. “‘Ah don’t mean to bother wid tellin’ ’em nothin’, Pheoby. ’Tain’t worth de trouble. You can tell ’em what Ah say if you wants to. Dat’s just de same as me’cause mah tongue is in mah friend’s mouf’” (Janie to Pheoby, Chapter 1, 6).
3. “‘Pheoby, we been kissin’-friends for twenty years, so Ah depend on you for a good thought. And Ah’m talking to you from dat standpoint’” (Janie to Pheoby, Chapter 1, 7).
4. “Janie saw her life like a great tree in leaf with the things suffered, things enjoyed, things done and undone. Dawn and doom was in the branched” (Narrator, Chapter 2, 8).
5. “‘Ah wuz wid dem white chillun so much till Ah didn’t know Ah wuzn’t white till Ah was round six years old. Wouldn’t have found it out then, but a man come long takin’ pictures and without askin’ anybody, Shelby, dat was de oldest boy, he told him to take us. Round a week later de man brought de picture for Mis’ Washburn to see and pay him which she did, then give us all a good lick’. So when we looked at de picture and everybody got pointed out there wasn’t nobody left except a real dark little girl with long hair standing by Eleanor. Dat’s where Ah wuz s’posed to be, but Ah couldn’t recognize dat dark chile as me. So Ah ast, ‘where is me? Ah don’t see me’” (Janie, Chapter 2, 8-9).
6. “‘Dey all useter call me Alphabet ’cause so many people had done named me different names’” (Janie, Chapter 2, 9).
7. “She thought awhile and decided that her conscious lie had commenced at Nanny’s gate. On a late afternoon Nanny had called her...