1. What is an information system? Distinguish between a computer, a computer program, and an information system. What is the difference between data and information?
2. Define “manager”. Why manager is so important for an organization?
3. What do managers need to know about organizations in order to build and use information systems successfully?
4. What are Classical Model of Management and Behavioral Models? What are their differences?
5. What is the difference between Structure and Unstructured Decision? Provide a simple example of a scenario for each type of decision.
6. The UPS Store providing convenient and value-added business services such as professional document printing services, mailbox services, packaging and shipping services to small-office/home-office (SOHO) market, corporate firms and consumers. Seconds after you enter an address and postcode into a terminal at UPS delivery outlets at UPS store, a shipping label and a receipt are generated. You shipping record stays in the database, so if you send another package to the same person, you do not need to repeat the address again.
(Extracted and modified from Information Technology for Management: Transforming Organizations in the Digital Economy, 6th Ed., Turban, Leidner, McLean & Wetherbe, Pg. 264.)
How did the transaction processing systems enhance the operation of UPS? Suggest TWO (2) types of information system to enhance the management of UPS.
7. Refer to Case Study 1: System Makeover Re-energizes Pizza Hut’s Sales and Productivity (April 2014), answer following questions:
a) In the context of data, process and information, briefly explain what types of data that a system collect which can serve sales and productivity purposes.
b) Based on the above given case, discuss FOUR (4) advantages of implementing the MICROS Restaurant Enterprise System in Pizza Hut. (12 marks)
c) As a business process...