Unvi 110U *Q67
November 8, 2012
FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE
3:00 p.m. to 3:50 p.m., Monday, Wednesday & Friday
August 20 – December 12, 2012
PROFESSOR: Ronald Wilson, JD.
121 Arcadia Hall
TEXT MATERIAL: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by: Rebecca Skloot
The Purpose-Guided Student by: Jerry A. Pattengale
This course focuses on developing creative and critical thinking skills, information literacy skills, improving written and oral communication skills, setting personal and academic goals, developing structured and consistent study habits, practicing effective time and stress management, and becoming contributing members of the Coastal Carolina University community. In addition, the course will provide the student with a foundation for the further study in a wide variety of curriculum by incorporating these skills into individual behaviors as they impact major choices and careers.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: This course is designed to help each student:
* Attain a basic level of expertise in critical inquiry which broadens experience and increases understanding
* Develop creative and critical thinking skills through in-class and out-of-class writing assignments
* Become a cooperative, yet independent, learner with a competency in information delivery systems and technology
* Attain a high level of information literacy and be capable of completing a collegiate literature review
* Complete a semester long research and writing project
* Engage in creative and critical thinking
* Develop a comprehensive academic plan leading to graduation from Coastal Carolina University
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
* To provide a foundation for effective study habits and effective time management skills for...