Associate Program Material
Aging and Disability Worksheet
Identify 2 or 3 issues faced by the aging population.
1. Elderly people that dwindle over the future of social security
2. Not being able to have family members to take care of them and being lonely
3. Not able to afford to retire
Answer the following questions in 100 to 200 words each. Provide citations for all the sources you use.
* What is ageism? How does ageism influence the presence of diversity in society?
Ageism is prejudice or discrimination against a particular age-group, especially the elderly. Ageism influences the presence of diversity because those who are affected by ageism within their career may lose their job due to newer, younger, cheaper people coming into the workplace to take over their current position. Which may leave those who are older without proper insurance to take care of their aging bodies which could result in earlier deaths and a lack of diversity in the world. Also when the younger generation takes over positions in the workplace that workplace will have a lack of diversity as well.
* What is the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)? How does the ADEA address issues for the aging population?
A federal law prohibiting age discrimination by employers of 20 or more employees against people over age 40, except where age is a bona fide occupational qualification or where the person is in a certain key executive or policy-making position and his or her retirement pension will be in excess of $44,000 per year. Such employees may be required to retire at age 65.
"The coming decades will witness sizeable increases in the share of the population aged 65 and over, an age range in which many workers leave their long-term career jobs and move into...