ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY
SHORT ANSWER ESSAY
Answers of Chapter 2 – Basic Chemistry
1.Because your entire body is made up of chemicals and chemical reactions underlie all body processes. A person needs this background to understand body functions.
2.Matter is anything that occupies space and has mass so there is matter in the body for example bones and teeth are an example of solid matter. Blood plasma and interstitial fluid are an example of liquid matter and the air we breathe is an example of gaseous matter.
3.Energy is massless and does not take up space. It can only be measured by its effects on matter. Energy is defined as the ability to do work or to put matter into motion.
4a. Mechanical energy
b. Radiant and light energy
c. Mechanical energy
d. Chemical energy
5. The energy is not really lost because energy just converts into another form but some energy is always unusable as its lost to heat in such transformations.
7. Carbon (C), Hydrogen (H), Oxygen (O), and Nitrogen (N). Nitrogen is found primarily in proteins and nucleic acids.
8. Atoms are the building blocks of an element.
9. All atoms are neutral because there is the same number of protons and electrons.
10. Protons and Neutrons are concentrated in a central nucleus. Electrons orbit the nucleus along specific orbits. Proton is positively charged and Electron is negatively charged and the neutron is not charged. Protons and neutrons have approximately the same mass: 1 atomic mass unit and electrons mass is so small that it is usually designated 0 atomic mass unit.
11. Because heavier isotopes are unstable they decompose to become more stable. This process of spontaneous atomic decay is called radioactivity which can be compared to a tiny explosion. All types of radioactive decay involve the ejection of particles. The heaviest isotope is most likely to be a radioisotope because the ‘glue’ that holds the atomic nuclei together is weaker in the heavier...