“A Mir Kiss”
- Ethnic diversity is lacking
- Cultural differences
- Language barriers
- Case is based on gender discrimination
In this case study I think Conflict is the main result and came up through many different areas. Lack of communication, leadership, engagement and team development.
Statement of Problem
- Due to cultural differences the interpretation of a kiss is viewed in different contexts
Analysis or problems
- Japanese/Austrian participants viewed the participation of a women as a favorable factor
- Russians cosmonauts got into a fight
- The Russians cosmonauts generally did not get along
-No action was taken against the aggressors by IBMP
- Russian kissed Lapierre, dragged her out of view of the television/monitoring cameras
-Lapierre fought him off, but he just didn’t get it
- Crew complained about the commanders behaviour towards Lapierre but they did not take action
-Cultural differences that’s why the Russians didn’t see anything wrong with the kiss
- Now because of the kiss there could be serious repercussions which could turn to high levels of stress
- Low Emotional Intelligence, the Russian space agency and the cosmonauts involved in the incident acted with no compassion or understanding of Lapierre’s complaint. If they had higher emotional intelligence would the kiss have even happened? And if it did happen due to drinking, would they have apologized after the alcohol wore off?
-Amongst the crew there was no one to take charge/leadership
- Even though they were all to be communicating in English there levels of proficiency was all different, that caused communication errors
- Communication: Improvement on communication supports work coordination, organizational learning, decision making, changing other’s behavior and employee well being. (pg 264)
-Leadership: Lack of. Leadership is influencing, motivating and enabling others to contribute toward...