Defining and Designing a Network
The overview of this book’s running case project is in the front matter. Please review this information carefully to guide you in completing each chapter’s project as you work through the remaining chapters.
You have been hired as a consultant to design a network for LedGrafix, a video and PC game design company. LedGrafix’s newest game has become a hot seller, and the company anticipates rapid growth. It’s moving into a new facility and will be installing a new network. Because competition is fierce in the game industry, LedGrafix wants the network fully secured, documented, and maintained while providing high availability, scalability, and performance.
Based on your current network technology and information security knowledge, for this project you design a network to meet the specified requirements and create a network diagram detailing your design. After you have created the diagram, you create a hardware and software inventory for the network. In addition to designing the network, you must also provide full documentation. The network should meet the following requirements:
* One location in Phoenix, AZ
* Capable of supporting 62 users in these departments: Accounting and Payroll, 4; Research and Development, 12; Sales and Marketing, 10; Order Processing, Shipping, and Receiving, 14; secretarial and office management staff, 4; upper management (including the president, vice president, and general manager), 10; Customer Relations and Support, 6;Technology Support, 2.
* Full T-1 Internet connection
1. Design a network that meets the preceding requirements.
2. Examine the facility diagram your instructor provides. Using whatever drawing application you have available (MS Paint will work, if you have no other options), create a diagram of your network, showing the physical layout of the system.
3. Create a hardware and software inventory. Your instructor has blank forms you can use, or you can create or...