1001EHR Tutorial Exercise
Name: Lin Wang (Lynn)
Student No: S 2874039
Tutor Name: Sue Ressia
Week No & Date: 3th week, 8th August 2013
Tutorial Time Thursday 17:00-17:50
Venue N53 -1.21
Case Name or Exercise Name: Australia’s large casual workforce masking real unemployment rate
(Done at home prior to the tutorial)
Corrections/refinement during tutorial discussion - feedback
(Done in class)
Q1. What reference to the lecture and the textbook, what factors can help explain the growth of casual and part-time work?
1) Financial impact is a significant factor. In the case, Philippa Barr living under the stress and she is looking for a full-time job to cover daily expense, but she find 3 casual works to instead. As a result, people seek more causal work to instead full time job.
2) During global financial crisis, many employers changed to casual and part-time jobs. Before they change back to full time, they still doing part-time job to cover their life expense.
3) Workers’ entitlement is another factor may cause the growth of casual. Some older workers back to part-time jobs because they may need to earn more money for their superannuation.
Q2. What are the benefit and drawbacks of these jobs?
1) Workplace flexibility
2) For workers, they can test market, find ideal jobs and avoid doing only one career.
3) For company, they can save the money from superannuation and insurance.
1) Too much casualization may bad for the broader economy.
2) Workers may lose sick leave, annual leave, and superannuation.
3) The skill of works may on a various level and unprofessional, which may affect the effectiveness of the company.
Q3. Do you agree that Generation Y job seekers are more inclined to seek out casual and part-time work? Why?
Yes, according to the case many older workers’ superannuation have taken a hit.
Many Generation Y have work experience when they are still at school and clear their career...